Holiday decorations can be a tricky situation if you have little ones running around the house. Toddlers are so curious and excited (all the time) that it’s important to keep them safe.
Last year, Maggie was just a little over a year old and loved getting herself into messes. I figured we would just not have a Christmas tree in order to keep her safe and my sanity intact. Having some brainstorming, we came up with the perfect solution to keep her safe AND have a Christmas tree. We needed a baby gate/fence!
It ended up working great for us. She never got into any of the gifts. It was sturdy enough to where she could pull on it and I didn’t have to worry about any accidents. In fact, this picture below is as close as she ever got to touching the tree.
Some other tips to keep in mind if you have curious toddlers in your house -
- Keep holiday candles out of reach!
- Beware of tinsel and ribbons around little ones. Strangling and choking come to mind.
- Don’t forget some holiday plants are poisonous – holly and poinsettias, especially!
- If you rearrange furniture, make sure to cover the exposed electrical outlets.
- Avoid decor that look like food (candy canes, cookies, etc.) Little ones may mistake it for “real” food.
Share your tips! How do you keep your little ones safe around the Christmas tree and other decorations?