A few months ago, I wrote a post asking for your tips in how to easily make the transition from crib to toddler bed. I’m happy to report that we’ve made the move and it’s a success! Although, to be truthful – it’s a success now, but in the beginning it was a nightmare.
Maggie was really excited the day we decided to make the change. She definitely knew something big was going on..and like any curious kid, she wanted to “help”.
The first few weeks in her “big girl bed” were really tough on all of us, not just her. Suddenly, she had free reign of the house whenever we went to bed for the night. Her internal clock was completely out of whack, thanks to this new-found freedom. I’ve lost count of how many trips I’ve made to put her back in bed after story time each night. Yes, there were a lot of tears involved.
One night, we were awakened by loud, crashing sounds at 3am – only to find Maggie sitting in the bathtub (no water) surrounded by her bath toys just having fun. (If we hadn’t been half-asleep, it would have made for a great picture.) Another time, we woke up to find her sleeping in the hallway.
One time, I even found this…
Here are a few tips of things that worked for us in the transition –
- Show them you are proud of them throughout the transition. I make a big deal out of how lucky she is to sleep in a “big girl bed”.
- Place a baby gate near the entrance to your little one’s room. It will keep them from roaming at night.
- When they do get up (and trust me, they will) immediately put them right back in the bed. Be firm! No time for fun and games.
- Tell them it’s time for bed. Maggie understands that it’s quiet time. I think it helps in our overall routine.
- Patience. Patience…and more patience. It was a long road, but she’s catching on!
Have you made the big move from a crib to toddler bed with your little one recently? What worked for you? Did you have crazy stuff happen in the middle of the night like us? Tell me all about it!