The summer is quickly coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean you have to stop exploring and having fun. Just stay closer to home and experience the fun in your own city! Saturdays and Sundays are the perfect time for a staycation!
My girls have another two weeks left this summer and I’ve been trying to do some fun activities with them close to home. No spending the night away from home – just exploring the great city we live in and finding new places. From museums to festivals, we found a lot of great, (new to us) places. And best of all – we’ve saved money too!
Having fun doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot! Here are some money-saving tips to plan adventures in your own city -
- Contact your local convention and visitors bureau (CVB) - Ask them to mail you a local visitors guide and see if they have discount/coupons too! (I used to work at my local CVB - they are a great resource!)
- When booking accommodations - call the local phone number and see if they offer a “local resident rate”. Never hurts to ask!
- Take advantage of ”free” days at museums! Two of our local museums have certain days throughout the month with free admission!
- Don’t be afraid to think outside the box! We have a chocolate company and a beer company that do factory tours – they are fun & free!
- Take advantage of any city, state and National Parks! Soak up nature and maybe sneak in a little education time too! One of the local city parks in my city even has a splash park – all free!
- Be on the lookout for coupon mailer magazines! Use those coupons to plan your meals and activities.
If you haven’t had a staycation, give it a try - you’ll have a great time and the best part? The drive home isn’t too far and you never have to stop and ask for directions!