It’s summertime and many of us are planning the “perfect” vacation all while keeping a strict budget. Have you ever thought about taking a staycation? Vacationing close to home is a great way to explore your own city and have fun with your family too!
We enjoy taking vacations in our own backyard – I love the feeling of being far away, but still close to home. My favorite staycation was an overnight (child-free) stay at the beach – we had fun exploring the beach,stayed out too late and woke up to an oceanfront view.
On the weekends, I love packing a picnic lunch to hit the road exploring the area. One Saturday, we went to my favorite, National Park that’s not too far from our home – Kingsley Plantation. We had a relaxing lunch overlooking the waterfront and the history of the plantation. Afterwards, we made our way to the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens – one of Maggie’s favorite places! She would have stayed all day at the giraffes, if we had let her. Some may think of it as just a regular day – but to me, it’s a staycation!
Here are my tips for planning the perfect staycation –
- Contact your local convention and visitors bureau (CVB) – Ask them to mail you a local visitors guide and see if they have discount/coupons too! (I used to work at my local CVB – they are a great resource!)
- When booking accommodations – call the local phone number and see if they offer a “local resident rate”. Never hurts to ask!
- Take advantage of “free” days at museums! Two of our local museums have certain days throughout the month with free admission!
- Don’t be afraid to think outside the box! We have a chocolate company and a beer company that do factory tours – they are fun & free!
- Take advantage of any city or National Parks! Soak up nature and maybe sneak in a little education time too!
- Be on the lookout for coupon mailer magazines! Use those coupons to plan your meals and activities.
If you haven’t had a staycation, give it a try – you’ll have a great time and the best part? The drive home isn’t too far and you never have to stop and ask for directions!
Has your family ever been on a staycation? Tell me all about it!
** I received no compensation for this post. We love taking staycations in our city and I wanted to share our experiences with you. **