In addition to raising more than $5 million for the hospital with its Care to Play: Carnival for St. Jude Kids shipboard fundraising campaign, Carnival serves as the Official Celebration Partner for St. Jude, supporting birthday parties, proms and other celebratory events at the hospital.
As part of my visit, I’ll have the opportunity to tour St. Jude Target House – the long-term housing facility for families staying more than 90 days. The facility offers patients and families a home-away-from-home while undergoing treatment. My fellow bloggers and I will also tour the hospital and even have the opportunity to meet a St. Jude family.
I’m excited that we will also have the opportunity to volunteer as representatives from Carnival Cruise Lines for a special Care to Play event with patients and their families – what an incredible honor.
Did You Know…
- Earlier this year, in conjunction with National Dance Day, Carnival provided kids and their parents an afternoon of fun at the first-ever in-hospital Groove for St. Jude, modeled after the popular shipboard activity.
- Carnival Cruise Lines is on track to raise $8 million by 2017 through a range of engaging activities, both on board and ashore.
- Target announced its partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital® in November 1996, and since St. Jude Target House’s opening, it has hosted more than 2,800 families from more than 40 states and more than 35 countries.
- The daily operating cost for St. Jude is $2 million, which is primarily covered by individual contributors.
- Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital® is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.
- Birthdays are also celebrated at the hospital with a special gift from Carnival complementing traditional festivities.
Follow Along On My Journey
Join the conversation this Tuesday and Wednesday as I visit St. Jude – the official hashtag for the trip is #SJBlogTour and you’ll find me on Twitter at @CarrieWChildren, and be sure to follow @StJude and @CarnivalCruise too.
I’m incredibly honored to have this experience and can’t wait to share stories with you… and yes, I’ll have plenty of tissues on hand, too.
Do you have a personal connection with St. Jude?
** I am an invited guest of Carnival Cruise Lines. Thoughts and opinions here are 100% my own. **